District Permits:

All improvements on or around the District’s levees require the property owner to get prior approval from the District by applying for, and receiving approval of, a “Levee Encroachment Permit.” Levee Encroachment Permit applications are available at the District Office. Generally speaking, if you own property on the levee crown (top), or levee slopes of the levee, or within ten-feet of the levee toe, you are subject to permit approvals through RD-799. If your property and proposed improvements are OUTSIDE the ten-foot distance from the “levee prism” (the area comprised of the levee top, slopes and toe) then you are not required to obtain a permit through RD 799. If you are unsure, please contact the District Office to verify whether or not you need to obtain an encroachment permit.

Department of Fish and Wildlife Maintenance Agreement

Concerning the California Department of Fish & Wildlife’s (CDFW) jurisdiction over waterside tree removal and the Lake and Streambed Alteration Agreement (LSAA/1600 Permit) Program.

Under Fish and Game Code section 1602, an entity (person, state or local governmental agency, or public utility) must notify CDFW before beginning any activity that may change the bed, channel, or bank of any river, stream, or lake. The waterside portion of a levee is considered the bank, thus an entity that intends to remove vegetation or trees from the waterside of the levee must notify CDFW prior to removal by submitting a complete notification package and fee to obtain a 1600 permit to do the work. More information on the LSAA Program can be found here:

Reclamation District 799 has a Routine Maintenance Agreement under the LSAA Program with CDFW. Under this Agreement, RD 799 may complete activities to maintain their levees, including removal of trees when necessary for levee stability and integrity. However, under the Subventions Program, trees that are removed by the District require mitigation.

Environmental Scientist, Delta Levee Habitat Improvement Program, California Department of Fish and Wildlife, Bay-Delta Region
2109 Arch Airport Road, Stockton, CA 95206 – office: (209) 234-3456

Any pipe/conduit installed in/through levee $50.00
Repair/remodel building without changing dimensions $50.00
repair/remodel building, changes in exterior dimensions $300.00
Paving/pour a slab: under 200ft. $50.00
Paving/pour a slab: 200 ft. to 499 ft.  $100.00 Paving/pour a slab: 500 ft. to 999 ft. $200.00 $100.00/$200.00
1000 ft. and over $300.00
Install a fence, pole, or posts $50.00
Erect an outbuilding under 120 sq. Ft. $50.00 – Erect an outbuilding over 120 sw. ft. $300.00 $50.00/$300.00
Erect building/single family resident $500.00
Grade or fill a lot under 20 cubic yards $50.00 – Lots over 20 cubic yards $100.00 $50.00/$100
Walkway/gangway New $100/Replace $50
Floating berth new or replace $50.00
Bulkhead on waterside slope, new or replace $100.00
Retaining wall(s) on landside slope, max. 36″ high $200.00
Permit before planting ground cover on levee slopes or grass on crown $50.00
Plant a tree, not within the design of the levee $100.00
Renewal of a permit $50.00
Subdivisions/developments: reimbursement agreement required N/A
Other: Projects which do not fall under the above will be charged a fee based on costs to RD 799 
Re-inspection, failure to follow plans or permit conditions $100 per hr.
Utility Company Permits and other larger permits fall under a permit fee + reimbursable expenses
Outlined but not limited to: Engineering, employee hourly wage, travel time, stay over time,
supplies reimbursement, document copies, administrative costs etc…

Reimbursement Agreements for Developers/Utility Company’s/State/Gov/Public Agencies/Larger Scale Permits:

The board will seek advice from the district’s legal counsel and the district’s engineering firm to determine a minimum retainer amount.  This amount will be implemented into a reimbursement agreement in which will be executed by the board of trustees at during the district’s next scheduled board meeting.  The amount implemented will serve as a retainer.  By which case, if the retainer amount has been depleted or comes close to being depleted prior to the project being completed; the District Administrator will request that the retainer be replenished.  If there is any amount left at the end of the project, the amount will be refunded.

RD 799